Edinburgh Festival Fringe music review: Iolite the Musical, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Fiona Shepherd.
The Vikings used to navigate using the gem iolite, but this musical is woefully adrift. The action, such as it is, switches between the eponymous heroine’s childhood, where she is denigrated by her mum, and adulthood, where she is verbally abused by a partner so awful she is tempted by the overtures of her oily boss, while her friend gets indignant on her behalf.
The twee songs are nicely sung but there is no conviction in the acting, so the melodramatic ending misfires.
theSpace on the Mile (Venue 39) until 22 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest