Edinburgh Festival Fringe musical review: Poppies, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Fiona Shepherd
An idyllic and carefree summer of fragrant folk music and decorous step dancing is interrupted by the start of the First World War in this rather twee Sunday teatime period drama-style musical which follows the next year in the lives of a close-knit group of siblings and couples.
The men are innocently excited about enlisting; the women roll up their sleeves and get on with keeping those home fires burning. All are struggling but stoic types with strong protective streaks, partial to making obvious observations such as: “This is war – people are dying.” Apologies for the spoiler.
SpaceTriplex (Venue 38), until 29 August, 7:35pm
Published in The Scotsman on 24 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest