Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: The Greatest Stories Never Told, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Sally Stott
A “COLLECTION of short comedies based upon tales you’ve never heard of”, there’s a lot of heart in this likeable little show that combines historical facts with Monty Python-esque sketches to provide an informative but mostly just plain silly hour of entertainment.
The jokes could be sharper and at times the team of likable chaps – with their playfully ramshackle approach – seem to be torn between providing laughs and creating straight mini-dramas.
But their energy and sense of fun carry things along, despite their material being in need of more polish, and a “final silly sequence about snakes” creates a riotous interactive finale.
theSpace @ Surgeon’s Hall (Venue 53), until 29 August, 7:35pm
Published in The Scotsman on 25 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest