Edinburgh Festival Fringe comedy review: Thrones! The Musical, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Paul Whitelaw.
The idea of a musical based on gruesome, sordid, wilfully complex fantasy drama Game Of Thrones is a funny idea in theory; the idea of a musical based on anything is funny in theory.
But in the coldly-slick hands of US comedy troupe Baby Wants Candy, it’s no funnier than a particularly average Saturday Night Live sketch.
Via lazy musical twists it scores cheap and easy laughs from merely referencing elements from the show. Jon Snow rapping! The White Walkers as an R&B boy band! And so on.
Assembly George Square Studios (Venue 17) until 31 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 27 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android