Edinburgh Festival Fringe dance review: Awkward Happiness, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Ben Walters.
From Polish-based experimental dance and physical theatre company Studio Matejka, Awkward Happiness offers a series of movement-based vignettes exploring the challenges of pursuing happiness in romantic relationships. There’s power in the show’s vocabulary of pushing, falling, climbing, carrying, and holding and some striking combinations of spoken word, live music and organic-abstract video. But for a show billed as the story of two couples, it’s hard to identify much meaningful character or narrative beneath high-falutin’ talk about alienation and dark chocolate.
Summerhall (Venue 26) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 27 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android