Edinburgh Festival Fringe music review: The Power of Music, reviewed by The Scotsman’s David Kettle.
The power of music to influence behaviour and affect mood is a subject ripe for exploration in a Fringe show, and John Groves – expert in “sound branding” and composer of countless earworm jingles – should be the man to do it, so it’s frustrating that his disappointing show delves so little into how any of it actually works, let alone ever questioning the ethics of audio advertising.
Instead, we get a hastily prepared talk that whizzes from subject to subject without tackling any of them in any depth, and a selection of Groves’s fairly anonymous, derivative pop songs from the man himself seated at a keyboard.
theSpace @ Surgeons Hall (Venue 53) until 29 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 28 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android