The nominees for the Hyundai Mercury Music Prize have been announced – and it’s eclectic as ever
Alongside the albums you just knew were going to be included (how could Radiohead’s A Moon Shaped Pool not be in there?), there are some surprising entries.
Grime continues its steady takeover of popular culture, with two albums included on the shortlist in the form of Skepta’s Konnichiwa and Kano’s Made In The Manor.
David Bowie’s Blackstar is another notable entry; could we be looking at the prize’s first posthumous victor in the form of The Thin White Duke?
The full list of nominees is as follows:
- The Dreaming Room – Laura Mvula
- Made In The Manor – Kano
- Making Time – Jamie Woon
- Blackstar – David Bowie
- Hopelessness – Anohni
- The Bride – Bat For Lashes
- Love & Hate – Michael Kiwanuka
- A Moon Shaped Pool – Radiohead
- Adore Life – Savages
- Konnichiwa – Skepta
- I Like It When You Sleep, For You Are So Beautiful Yet So Unaware Of It – The 1975
- Channel The Spirits – The Comet It Coming
But who do you think should take home one of the hottest prizes in music this year? Have your say with our poll below: