So what do we know about Endless?
- It’s not Boys Don’t Cry, the rumoured follow-up to Channel Orange proper. Although the word is that this will follow swiftly, perhaps even this weekend. In a statement, Apple Music said fans should “keep an eye out this weekend for more from Frank”. But we’ve been here before, Frank Ocean fans.
- Also, to confuse matters, that new album will no longer be called Boys Don’t Cry. This is all getting very Kanye.
- It has some brilliant guests. There’s a cover of the Isley Brothers’ ‘At Your Best (You Are Love)’ featuring Mercury winning British producer James Blake, Radiohead guitarist/all-round genius Johnny Greenwood and the London Contemporary Orchestra. Venezuelan producer Arca is credited on ‘Mine’, and lo-fi pop musician Alex G is has multiple guitar credits – on ‘Wither’, ‘Slide On Me’, ‘Rushes’, and ‘Higgs’.
- It’s only available on Apple Music. In the latest broadside in the platforms war, Ocean has sided with the Cupertino-based giant as opposed to Tidal or Spotify.
- It’s accompanied by a 45-minute video of the artist working on a construction project. We won’t spoil it for you, but it’s not an IKEA wardrobe.
‘At Your Best’ was originally posted on Ocean’s Tumblr to mark the anniversary of the death of Aaliyah, who had also covered the song in 1991.
Here’s the full tracklist:
1 Device Control (written by Wolfgang Tillmans)
2 At Your Best (You Are Love) (The Isley Brothers Cover)
6 Ambience 001: “In a Certain Way”
7 Commes Des Garcons
8 Ambience 002: “Honeybaby”
11 In Here Somewhere
12 Slide on Me
15 Deathwish (ASR)
17 Rushes To
Endless – and presumably the “proper” album which follows – arrives a full three years after Frank Ocean’s new album was first announced.
Naturally, this delay has stretched the patience of even his most ardent fans.
So is all forgiven?
when I heard frank ocean for the first time in 4 and a half years pic.twitter.com/Rgi0uvd3oU
— citrine mami (@cydniecole123) August 19, 2016
Still pissed at you Frank, but this was worth the wait. Brilliant https://t.co/ngudjHKvaJ
— lucas (@lucas_rausch) August 19, 2016
frank ocean's new album is very very much worth the wait.
— SAM TOMPKINS (@SamTompkinsUK) August 19, 2016
FRANK OCEAN FINALLY CAME THROUGH
— Khalil Underwood (@RealKhalilU) August 19, 2016
This is the best month ever, Frank Ocean finally dropped an album… It's mad how he actually turned this L to a W
— role MODEL (@PIERREREACT) August 19, 2016
Frank Ocean killed it ⚪️⚫️
— Lord Aleem (@aleem_official) August 19, 2016