Portsmouth is a foodie’s paradise, but that doesn’t mean we don’t miss some of the amazing Pompey restaurants and bars that, sadly, are no longer with us.
From Vatika to Fire & Stone, here are some of the much-loved places that are long gone, but not forgotten.
The Pizza House
This Hillsea Italian restaurant welcomed some of the UK’s top dignitaries, footballers and celebrities – including former Prime Minister David Cameron – but closed this summer. The site has now been converted into flats, and eccentric owner Giuseppe Mascia has retired. Giuseppe’s son Christian continues to run Italian-style deli and cafe Casa Sarda a few doors down.
Originally known as the Oyster Refreshment Rooms, and then later the Temperence Hotel, the Sallyport occupied a Grade II listed Georgian property in the oldest part of town on High Street, Old Portsmouth. Converted in 1947 from a war damaged residence dating back to the 1600s, the building has been closed for a number of years, but is currently due to reopen following a multi-million pound refurbishment as a hotel in 2018.
This popular family-run Eldon Street restaurant had been running for 15 years, serving French food in the heart of Southsea, but Kitsch’n D’or was forced to close last summer after a rent increase.
Built in 1900, this Grade II listed pub on Broad Street closed in 1970 to become a restaurant by the same name. It was converted into an estate agents offices in 2001.
Fire & Stone
This restaurant and cocktail bar in Gunwharf Quays offered gourmet global pizzas inspired by cities from around the world, but closed down in 2013. Their Covent Garden branch is still going, so you’ll have to head to London to get your fix.
Owned by the Michelin-starred chef Atul Kochhar, Vatika – which overlooked Wickham Vineyard – offered haute cuisine with an Indian twist, and won praise for its locally sourced food, immaculately presented dishes and excellent service. Sadly it closed in late 2011.
Facebook / Barnabys Restaurant
This intimate, family-run restaurant on Osborne Road in Southsea served uncomplicated, classic British food with a Mediterranean spin, such as fresh fish, steak or a roast of the day, followed by trifle or bread and butter pudding. It closed in 2014.
Situated at 100 Copnor Road, The Swan dated from the 1890s – though a pub called Duncan’s Head is believed to have served pints on that site from the 1850s. The premises was reinvented in recent years as a pub with a focus on food, before closing in 2010 and being turned into a block of flats.
Like this? Try these:
Main image: Facebook / Barnabys Restaurant