Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Desperately Seeking Sugar, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Paul Whitelaw.
Practical Magic is a theatre company from Uddingston who, on the evidence of this clumsy, mirthless comic play, should employ new writers to support their talented actors.
Derek is a former contestant on The Apprentice. These days he’s the hapless director of a luxury toilet company that is about to be sold by his unctuous brother to an American rival. Thankfully, he still receives gruff business advice from “the ghost of Lord Sugar”.
This half-decent premise is transformed into an interminable farce that’s nowhere near as funny as The Apprentice itself.
Spotlites (Venue 278) until 15 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 11 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest