Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Oh Gumtree, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Claire Smith.
We are in a waiting room, with a timid girl in a party dress, two squabbling sisters and a cleaner wearing an overall. Some time later a lady in a nice lavender cashmere coat turns up.
What are they all doing here? We do not know until the end – when a neat twist reveals where we really are and what we are waiting for.
The piece has a certain style but the writing is aimless, the characters lacking substance and the dialogue limp. I won’t spoil the ending for you – but it isn’t the biggest surprise in the world.
C Nova (Venue 145) until 22 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 11 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest