Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Patriots, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Paul Whitelaw.
For all its apparently noble intentions, this muddled jigsaw fails to deliver.
Via a dizzying array of clips from US television channel Fox News and a connecting monologue from the grief-stricken lover of a campaigning journalist, Patriots posits itself as a nuanced attack on the two-way perils of extremism.
Do journalists have the right to expose and destroy hypocritical power-brokers, if that causes suffering to innocent people (journalists included)? Or are they collateral damage in the larger scheme of things?
These are interesting questions, but it feels more like a series of black-out skits loosely contrived into an unsatisfying whole.
Paradise in The Vault (Venue 29) until 22 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 12 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest