Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Naked Knotted Neurons, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Fiona Shepherd.
There is a concept with potential at the heart of this devised piece by theatre students from the University of Pennsylvania. Six individuals, caught by accident or design at various historic protests – the Battle of the Bogside, the Stonewall Riots, LA, Ferguson – and considered to represent the best of humanity are summoned by the Fates and presented with a series of riddles to help them recognise the qualities they need to harvest to create the ultimate hero.
The cast do what they can with limited resources but there is neither the script, the space, the stagecraft nor the slickness of presentation to extrapolate a satisfying piece of theatre from their theme.
C Nova (Venue 145) until 15 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 13 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest