Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Satan Speaks: ‘Why I Don’t Exist’ A TED-ish Talk, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Billy Barrett.
The devil’s greatest trick, according to Baudelaire, is to convince you that he doesn’t exist.
Bart McCarthy attempts to pull off just this in a cliché-ridden solo show, in which Satan presents the case that in history people have shifted the blame of their own innate depravity on to an imagined evil.
McCarthy essentially plays himself, an actor playing Satan. He’s a charismatic presence, but its logic is repetitive and delivery uneven.
Gilded Balloon (Venu 14) until 23 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 13 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest