Edinburgh Festival Fringe cabaret review: Dandy Darkly’s Trigger Happy!, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Claire Smith.
Never have I been more grateful of a technical hitch than when Dandy Darkly wrapped the lead of his ipod around his 12-inch rattlesnake shoes and put an end to the horribly discordant musical backing track.
We were, he said, going to see a rare performance of Dandy Darkly “unplugged” and I can’t have been the only person who breathed a sigh of relief.
The US glitter-faced drag cowboy specialises in pornographic ghost stories, delivered in a rather horrifying screechy voice.
After hearing about a werewolf orgy and the horrific death of schlock movie star America’s Sweetheart I began looking through my phone for the number of an exorcist.
But, unexpectedly, Dandy Darkly won me over with the touching tale of a secret gay nightclub run by rats.
Suddenly he became less angry, more warm and finally rather sweet.
Mr Darkly ended by thanking the Free Fringe for giving a home to strange outsider art and suddenly I was rather glad this was the case.
Homosexual werewolf porn will probably never be my thing but there is definitely a place for it. I just wish he had given the audience the benefit of the doubt and greeted us with warmth rather than so much rage.
CC Blooms (Venue 171) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest