Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Bismillah! An ISIS Tragicomedy, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Billy Barrett.
This provocatively titled two-hander tells the touchingly funny, if surprisingly lightweight, tale of a British Army officer held hostage by an ISIS operative in Iraq.
After realising his captor is a well-known defector from London, Leeds lad Dean appeals to his humanity with recollections of Wetherspoon’s, the North/South divide and KFC.
As for its tragedy, the script for the most part skims over the atrocities committed on both sides in favour of a reflection on the arbitrary nature of ideology, as each soldier’s views reveal how where we are born shapes our perception of the rest of the world.
Just the Tonic at the Caves (Venue 88) until 21 August
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest