Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Coughing Sheep, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Billy Barrett.
There’s some enjoyably farcical fun in this two-hander about a slapdash father-daughter double act. Comedians Lucy Frederick and Peter Henderson have a charming rapport as they attempt to stage a Russian play with a large cast using only a bag of mismatched costumes, some rudimentary tech and a tub of custard.
It’s probably too silly to keep you properly hooked for the full hour – the joke of the pair’s incompetence quickly wears thin – and some off-colour humour falls flat amidst more family-friendly material. But there’s a quaintly hit-and-miss anarchy (and most importantly, no admission fee) to this late-night show.
Just the Tonic at the Caves (Venue 88a) until 29 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest