Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: If I Were Me, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Susan Mansfield.
Philip is a copywriter in an advertising agency. He is good but is largely invisible, with awkwardness worthy of Mr Bean. Singled out at a company conference to “sell himself”, he shrivels in the spotlight and… Well, perhaps he sets out to find himself. Or become someone else.
This show, peppered with music and physical performance, is high on energy but low on clarity. While it offers striking moments, it fails to tell us why they’re significant.
Underbelly Cowgate (Venue 61) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest