Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Molly, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Sally Stott.
Supported by Pleasance, this stylish production from young theatre company Squint has an expensive-looking set but an underdeveloped script. Framed as a This is Your Life-style TV show and narrated by four presenters, it delves into the early life of troubled contestant Molly and asks, what makes a murderer?
It’s a compelling question, but the characters are broad and their cold, dispassionate delivery makes it difficult to engage with them.
As we follow Molly from playground bully to corporate tycoon, there’s a well-directed montage, but the final critique of reality TV offers little explanation for our antihero’s increasingly violent behaviour.
Pleasance Courtyard (Venue 33) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest