Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: The Bench, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Fiona Shepherd.
A trio of vaguely sketched and even more vaguely connected stories unfold on or, in one case, near a park bench – a young couple work through their issues in the present day, a random meeting in the 1950s leads to a sweet, old-school courtship and a tale of love across the class divide plays out like a Victorian curse and farce in one.
The likeable young cast throw themselves into the thin material, but the bench’s current down-and-out occupant Ducky, entertainingly pissed on Lambrini, writes the show’s own poster pull quote: “It’s not exactly Chekhov, is it?”
theSpace @ Surgeons Hall (Venue 53) until 20 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest