Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Boris: World King, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Paul Whitelaw.
In terms of satirical message, this direct attack on the bogus cult of Boris Johnson is highly commendable.
I couldn’t agree more with its scathing dissection of Johnson as an unprincipled, philandering, duplicitous opportunist who uses the supposed charm and humour of his bumbling toff act to get whatever he wants.
Unfortunately, for a comic play it barely raises a smile.
Actor/impressionist David Benson, best known for his acclaimed stage performance as Kenneth Williams, is impeccable as Johnson, pratfalls and all. But as a comedy it’s disappointingly mediocre.
Pleasance Courtyard (Venue 33) until 31 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 14 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest