Edinburgh Festival Fringe comedy review: Get Your Own Back: Live!, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Martin Gray
It’s the Nineties all over again as Dave Benson-Phillips revives BBC1’s Get Your Own Back. For a generation of kids it was the gameshow; an assortment of slapstick silliness leading to a very messy climax – the undignified gunging of a grown-up by a child with a minor grudge.
While there are a few nippers, the audience is overwhelmingly made up of adults who were viewers back in the day. It seems appropriate, then, that the contestants are grown-ups too. The conceit of Fringe performers vs punters had me expecting a smuttier version. Happily, there are no attempts at irony – the amiable Benson-Phillips keeps things clean as David and Georgia from one of the Gilded Balloon sketch shows take on Stephanie and, er, her tall friend from Real Life.
The nearest we got to naughtiness was during a scavenger hunt, when someone whipped off her bra with commendable/terrifying swiftness after our host asked for “something a woman wears that isn’t seen”… he meant perfume.
It all makes for a fast-moving hour. I could have done without Benson-Phillips’ endless pleas for applause and cheers, but it’s a small price to pay for a delightfully innocent hit of nostalgia.
Gilded Balloon (Venue 14), until 31 August, 4:30pm / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 15 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest