Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: After We Danced, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Billy Barrett.
This unapologetically saccharine love story is set at the wedding of an elderly couple and looks back at their star-crossed past, with flashback sequences to the couple’s youth in the 1950s. Fran’s father’s disapproval of Finn’s working in a fairground provides the obstacle to the couple’s young love, which takes them 60 years to overcome.
Some uncertain accents and stilted performances fail to lift Andy Moseley’s script – which is all exposition, no action – from much more than a series of vague clichés about the uptight sexual morality of mid-20th century middle England.
The Space on the Mile (39) until 22 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 17 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest