Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Divas, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Billy Barrett
This sweetly camp show borrows its form from the musical The Last Five Years in which a couple narrate the story of their relationship, one chronologically and the other in reverse.
Damien and Adam’s romance hinges on a shared adoration of divas – Dusty, Cher and Aretha – so the supporting characters are appropriately voiced by a trio of sequinned backing singers, who also underscore the drama with soulful hits.
Its showiness is a little shaky and the story isn’t sufficiently original to be wholly compelling – but there are some enjoyable numbers.
Pleasance Dome (venue 23), until 31 August, 2:40pm / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 15 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest