Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Rope, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Claire Smith
Watching this promenade performance is a bit like finding yourself in an Alexander McCall Smith novel. Some students are hauling a body through the streets of Edinburgh in a trunk – and the audience follows on behind, from The Edinburgh Academy to a bar in St Stephen Street and on to the little park at the end of Scotland Street.
It’s an imaginative idea based on Hitchock’s movie of the perfect crime. But there are problems with trying to relocate an urbane New York literary milieu to Edinburgh’s New Town. What is supposed to be sophisticated just comes across as stiff and snooty.
The Edinburgh Academy (Venue 70), until 19 August, 1:15pm & 3:15pm / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 15 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest