Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Mr Poe’s Legendarium, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Paul Whitelaw.
This supposedly comic compendium of three lesser-known short stories by Edgar Allan Poe is a sepulchral chore.
Arch, unfunny and oddly conceived, it’s linked by Poe himself as he fends off tiresome interruptions from Sigmund Freud. The point, it seems, is to add a layer of psychoanalytical meaning, but the show is so gossamer thin the conceit goes nowhere.
At least it’s mercifully short.
C Nova (Venue 145) until 22 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 18 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest