Edinburgh Festival Fringe comedy review: Dave Callan – A Little Less Conversation 2: A Little More Less Conversation, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Martin Gray.
Yep, it’s a sequel show. Last year Dave Callan, an Irishman transplanted to Australia, so of course, I heard “Canadian” – gifted the Fringe with his oft-terrifying dance moves, and this year it’s the ABC of Dance. Backwards, “because the front of the alphabet doesn’t have many great dances”.
Accompanied by four feisty femmes who may or may not be professionals, but are certainly nifty movers, and aided by video funnies, Callan demonstrates such delights as the Black Bottom, the Goth and the zombie dance from Thriller. Or maybe it was the Zumba. Anyway, it’s all decidedly diverting, though spelling “Cossack” with a “K” gets an F for fail.
With props that include a Fantasy Pony for Monty Python’s fish-slapping dance (the venue said the use of an actual fish would be too smelly in a hot room), and a live “twerkeshoppe”, Callan and co produce a whirlwind of a show that brings constant chuckles.
Alphabet-wise, the climax is a bit of a WTF, but if you have terpsichorean tendencies, form a Q.
Gilded Balloon (Venue 14) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 19 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest