Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Five Drinks, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Billy Barrett.
This endearing but flat comedy drama about a teenage boy navigating gay life after coming out to his friends showcases the potential of some promising young performers. Its well-meaning takedown of homophobic attitudes is commendable but simplistic and cliché-ridden, as stock trope after trope is churned out in a series of overlong scenes.
Angst-ridden Dylan and his sassy sister are played well and provide comic fun, and there’s plenty of relatable awkwardness in the show’s satire of first-date nerves. But this group’s youthful inexperience means Five Drinks isn’t quite ready for a general audience to enjoy.
Paradise in Augustines (Venue 152) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 19 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest