Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: The Worry Monster, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Claire Smith.
There’s a kernel of emotional truth in this play about a man who creates a monster in his childhood which follows him into adult life.
The lead character is Raymond, an artist whose anxiety is ruining his life and seeping into the worlds of his friend, his mother and his wife.
Flashbacks to Raymond’s childhood are performed using puppets. Unfortunately the clumsy jokes and the dumbed down dialogue make it hard to believe this is a play for grown-ups.
Paradise in Augustines (Venue 152) until 29 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 19 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest