Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Stan, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Fiona Shepherd.
A young suited and booted cast give stylised expression to their fears about entering the (handsomely paid) rat race, but these worker drones on the Tube commute and in the office really are in Hell and their diabolical boss Stan is looking for a proxy so he can secure promotion upwards to the place with the harps and the angel chorus.
There is some ambition in the staging – a domestic abuse victim applies her bruise make-up as she shares her travails – and archangel Gabriel sports a lovely set of feathered wings, but these stories of the damned are strictly off-the-peg and sometimes resort to cliché.
C Nova (Venue 145) until 21 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 20 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest