Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: These Troubled Times, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Ben Walters.
There’s something pleasingly delirious about this slice of absurdist satire set in a Florida suburb and involving a family, their dog, their uncle, the uncle’s ex-boyfriend, an evangelistic neighbour (playwright Troy Diana in drag) and some very strange goings-on that might involve a serial killer, an alien invasion or the rapture.
It’s a heady brew and Diana certainly brings a histrionic potency to judgmental Mrs Raymond next door.
But the other performances remain subdued and the piece never quite finds its footing between genre storytelling, naturalistic character drama and high-camp excess.
C nova (Venue 145) until 22 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 20 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android