Edinburgh Festival Fringe comedy review: Ivo Graham: No Filter, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Jay Richardson.
For all his privilege-prompted arrested development, Ivo Graham is maturing into a fine comic; relating his flaws and failings with seasoned wit, while expressing increasingly acute, if polite and largely bemused, irritation with the world. Taking his title from the Instagram photo hashtag #nofilter, with its attendant connotations of supposed naturalness and smug superiority, Graham is self-aware enough to know that his perspective comes heavily burdened with baggage.
An Old Etonian, albeit neither Prime Minister nor Oscar nominee material, at 24 he feels like a pop princess considering an edgier sound. And certainly this feels like a transitory show, still looking back on his formative influences yet bravely pursuing his first relationship with a woman – to hell with the retrograde consequences for his comedy career.
Although personal quirks, such as his pedantic approach to texting, propel the show, he’s leaning increasingly towards broader social observations, revealing himself to have a droll understanding of life, his expertly-paced delivery lifting already strong routines. There are memorable lines here that many comics would envy. Yet you rather suspect that there’s more to come from Graham, his abundant storytelling skills refining as he discovers more about himself.
Pleasance Courtyard (Venue 33) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 22 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android