Edinburgh Festival Fringe dance review: You, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Ben Walters.
In this solo piece, Cirque du Soleil veteran James Kingsford-Smith displays impressive talents and opens up provocative subjects without demonstrating full confidence in either.
In the guise of cocky yet self-questioning Eduardo, he lithely prowls the stage and Tarzans around its large metal frame while mulling the bonds of ego and alienation. He holds forth on subjects spanning global warming, nuclear physics, monogamy and self-actualisation without developing a solid line of thought; sometimes his words are barely audible over the soundtrack. Meanwhile, routines on aerial straps, yoga ball and arm stilts are compelling, but partly because they seem semi-improvised and occasionally uncertain.
C South (Venue 58) until 31 August
Published in The Scotsman on 22 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android