Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: 101 Reasons Why I #@%$ Katie Hopkins, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Paul Whitelaw.
Lynsey Smiles seems like a lovely person. Warm, thoughtful, even-handed and decent, she’s the aptly-named antithesis of Katie Hopkins, the notorious subject of her gently comic lecture. But for all its common sense in attacking Hopkins’ hypocrisies, this is an aimless hour.
As Smiles observes, Hopkins is a super-troll who thrives on attention. If you ignore her, then her power dissolves. So why base a show around her? Smiles acknowledges this contradiction, but she can’t escape it. Trawling through Hopkins’ nasty tweets and quotes is a tedious way of proving a self-evident point.
Sweet Grassmarket (Venue 18) until 30 August
Published in The Scotsman on 22 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android