Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: BED, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Ben Walters.
A timely selfie of the phone-app hook-up generation, this LSE student production surveys promising terrain without seeming sure what to do there. Starry-eyed Eddie (Nikhil Parmar) falls for smug actor Robin (Joe Shalom) as flatmates Imogen (Celine Buckens) and Lena (Morgan Daniels) gigglingly look on.
The credible performances and James Dunn’s script capture a sense of fledgling twenty-somethings looking for connection, meaning and identity while enveloped in a solipsistic haze of prejudice and pretension. It’s unclear whether this is entirely deliberate – there’s a lot of unchallenged entitlement and overwritten dialogue here – but in some ways that adds to its resonance.
Greenside @ Infirmary Street (Venue 236) until 29 August
Published in The Scotsman on 22 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android