Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Cheque Please, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Fiona Shepherd.
Nottingham New Theatre explores ideas around depression in this new play – except it doesn’t really explore them at all, simply follows them around in the person of Ivy, seeing everything through her eyes as she deals with vinegary customers in her mundane café job, is hostile at group therapy, feels isolated even with her oldest friends and gives her feelings some articulation in a series of monologues which sound like blog posts.
But giving expression to her thoughts in this way doesn’t seem to help Ivy much and, in this case, it doesn’t even make a poignant piece of theatre.
Zoo (Venue 124) until 31 August
Published in The Scotsman on August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android