Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: The Night Watch, reviewed by The Scotsman’s David Pollock.
Sadly, if there was an individual set designer for this play their name has eluded us, because they deserve huge credit for turning a simple Old Town drawing room into a shack in the Spanish countryside during the Napoleonic Wars. Here, a British sergeant has brought a man he has accused of stealing from him to see his captain, when they discover the man is actually a woman with an important secret.
The three-strong cast and Antonia Goddard’s direction play events out in pleasingly unhurried style, but the script – clichéd declarations and easily second-guessed twists – lets such good work down.
C Nova (Venue 145) until 31 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 22 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android