Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Savage, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Billy Barrett
Reading University Drama Society attempts to mine the comic potential of the student flat-share experience in this uninspired “tactical chunder”-filled snapshot of life as a Fresher.
There are few laughs to be had with the lazy lad-banter, cliché-laden script, and the absence of plot – save one partner swap and several arguments over a Spotify playlist – gives the audience little to hang on for when the gags fail to land.
At one point a bored party-goer describes the whole evening as “purgatorial” – perhaps echoing the exact thoughts of some of those in Savage’s audience.
The Space @ Surgeon’s Hall (Venue 53), until 29 August, 2:35pm
Published in The Scotsman on 25 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest