Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Tumbling After, reviewed by The Scotsman’s David Pollock.
Early- twentysomething audiences may well love it, but there’s a strong dose of “so what?” to this production from young company RedBellyBlack.
Boy meets girl, girl meets boy, both couples have their respective drunken one night stands, move in together, experience an affair and attempt to patch things up and move on. It’s the same “write what you know” show that 101 productions made by undergraduate-age-or-thereabouts companies will have brought a variation of to Edinburgh this year. It’s no surprise that the piece was developed from the performers’ own experiences.
Yet RedBellyBlack don’t deserve to be written off. The staging of this vaguely nursery rhyme-themed piece is clever, with set designer Kate Goodfellow having placed two beds standing on their ends upstage and used to credibly portray the couples’ more intimate conversations.
The quartet of performances are a little raw but entirely confident and capable and the choreographed physicality of the show strays close to the territory of dance, with director Vicki Baron and movement director Elizabeth Williams guiding us through a simple story with illustrative emotional clarity and resonance. For all involved, this is an assured calling card to use in future as the themes and situations they explore hopefully gain in diversity and maturity.
Space Triplex (Venue 38) until 27 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 27 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android