Edinburgh Festival Fringe children’s show review: The Hiawatha, reviewed by The Scotsman’s David Pollock.
There’s a lot of promise in this kids show from Theatre With Teeth, a co-opting of the native American title character myth which tells of a small boy who sets off to save his kidnapped mother from an evil magician.
A friendly bear, evil snakes and wolves, and the swooping Queen Eagle are well-realised with costumes inventively made from fabric and crepe paper, and the piece has been directed with purpose and ingenuity, but there’s a certain hesitancy which slows it down. It’s a creditable, hard-working effort, but not quite there.
Greenside @ Infirmary Street (Venue 236) until 29 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 28 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android