Edinburgh Festival Fringe comedy review: Underwhelmed, reviewed by The Scotsman’s Jay Richardson.
Twanya Mayne is a distinctive new voice on the comedy circuit but she’s got barely 25 minutes of material right now, let alone the billed 40. Contrarian and aridly deadpan, her default hostile attitude is appealing and she shows her potential with a savagely funny letter to the Moroccan tourist board after a disappointing holiday there, her contempt for the racism she experienced dripping with cutting disdain.
This is the high point though in a set she races through with wavering confidence. Her tales of growing up a tomboy in South East London have promise, but as yet, it’s largely unrealised.
Laughing Horse @ The Counting House (Venue 170) until 30 August / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 28 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android