Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Old Man’s Gift, reviewed by The Scotsman’s David Pollock.
At the titular old man’s birthday party, his daughter rebuffs a friend’s marriage proposal while others plot her father’s murder. It turns out the old man abused all in different ways, and this fact should rankle when the show is over. A spirited but unpolished amateur Fringe thriller, the sense in the closing stages that it’s using child abuse as a cheap, sensationalist plot device eradicates all patience of the viewer.
Venue 13 (Venue 13) until tomorrow / listings
Published in The Scotsman on 28 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Don’t miss a thing: sign up to our daily email newsletter
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest
• Download the WOW247 app for iOS and Android