Edinburgh Festival Fringe theatre review: Sweetness and Light, reviewed by The Scotsman’s David Pollock
Two male leads give strong and very watchable performances as Dextrose and Glucose, the gangsterish cockney wideboys and “Community Sanitisers” working for the Office of Population Adjustment in a dystopian parallel London, who burst in and intimidate their target Sweetums, a stuffed ragdoll, in scenes of slapstick violence.
Yet their distinctive characters and pleasingly precise rhyming couplets don’t disguise the fact this piece seems like a finely controlled and playfully experimental sketch stretched beyond its natural running time.
Space Triplex (Venue 38), run ended.
Published in The Scotsman on 29 August 2015
Edinburgh Festivals 2015: complete coverage
• Get everything on our Festivals homepage – on desktop, mobile or tablet
• Looking for reviews? Check out the latest Scotsman reviews – or browse all the reviews ranked by star rating
• Watch all the latest videos from the #WOWwagon
• Get distracted by our Festival Blog
• Check out today’s half-price ticket deals
• Follow our social accounts on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram – and join the conversation with #WOWfest